Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Surprising Activity

Early in the year I was sent Surprise! (Karen Andrews / Kim Fleming - Miscellaneous Press) to review and I thought it was a great book to inspire children to do something nice for another person. Intrinsic rewards and all that jazz!

Today I read that book to my class of Japanese kids and you can see what they drew and how they responded to the book. The class has 15 students (three and four years old) with very little grasp English, there was a big focus on the pictures and what was happening for them. I had some visiting kids from the older classes as well.
They all wouldn't have been able to put their pictures in the back of my book so I made a Surprise Envelope.
Hard at work.
One of the younger student's work.
A starry concept.
Awwww.
Looking back over the story.
A Japanese spin (and no I have no idea what those characters mean).
Putting their surprises into the envelope.
A great self-portrait. Isn't it fantastic!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea!!!
Ahhh kids drawings! There is no better nor cheerier art :)

Tye

brizmus said...

Ohmygoodness, SO cute!!!!

Alea said...

Got some kawaii going on here! Ahh I love the spin one!

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I to but I about the collection should acquire more info then it has.